CPR Course Waiver
Policy for Waiver of HLTH 216 Course Requirement
Faculty in the Department of Health and Kinesiology have approved the waiver of the HLTH 216 course requirement for students who have completed approved advanced first aid and CPR training. Please note, this policy waives the course requirement for HLTH 216, but does not change the number of credit hours needed to complete the degree requirements. The purpose of this memo is to formalize procedures to approve the waiver of HLTH 216.
Only the following certification cards will be acceptable for HLTH 216 course waiver.
First Aid Cards Accepted
- National Safety Council - 24 or 30 hour First Aid Course
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons - 24 or 30 First Aid Course
- American Red Cross - Emergency Response Course
- American Safety and Health Institute - 24 or 30 hour course
- National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians Certification ( EMT-B, EMT-I or Paramedic)
- Texas State Emergency Medical Technician Certification (EMT-B, EMT-I or Paramedic)
- Emergency Care & Safety Institute – 24-30 hr First Aid Course
CPR Cards Accepted
- National Safety Council - Professional Rescuer CPR
- American Heart Association - BLS Provider
- American Safety and Health Institute - CPR for Professionals
The procedures and specifications listed below will be followed to waive HLTH 216.
- Student should complete the "HLTH 216 Course Waiver" form and submit this to their advisor
- Students must submit valid First Aid and CPR cards with expiration dates from one of the organizations listed previously
- Both certification cards must be valid through the completion date of the student's internship or student teaching experience depending on their major course of study
- Exception to these procedures must be approved by the chair of the Division of Health Education or his/her designated representative