The B.S. in Health, Allied Health Option (AHO) provides a background in health sciences, health education, and an opportunity to complete professional school prerequisites. Students select electives from a list of prerequisites for specific professional schools.
Graduates gain the academic background to work in a variety of health-related settings such as government health agencies (e.g., local public health departments), voluntary health organizations (e.g., American Heart Association), hospitals, businesses, and other health-related organizations, even if they decide not to attend a professional school. Each student completes courses that provide an academic foundation. Additionally, students receive required health science and health education coursework, which includes but is not limited to Introduction to the Health Education Profession, Community Health, Human Diseases, Drugs and Society, Grant Writing, and Professional Practice in Health Education.
For more information about admission to the Allied Health option, check out Undergraduate Admissions in the HLKN Student Services Section.
If you are interested in changing your major to the Allied Health option, the application form is available at the MyCEHD Website. At the time of application, students must have a minimum Texas A&M GPR of 2.50, completed a minimum of 12 graded hours at Texas A&M and completed no more than 80 total hours (A&M and transfer hours). Note: Applicants are reviewed by committee and admitted on a competitive basis. Meeting the minimum requirements listed does not guarantee admission. Click here for more information.
The deadlines to submit a change of major application will be:
- Fall semester - October 10
- Spring semester - March 10
- Summer semester - June 10
For questions about transferring into HLKN Health Division, contact Casey Ricketts at 979-862-7167 or firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to Texas A&M admission requirements, transfer applicants must follow transfer admissions requirements:
- Minimum 2.75 GPR - Students with a GPR of 3.0 or higher are given preference.
- Completion of 24 transfer hours
- Completion of two 4-hour lab sciences with a C or higher (preferably BIOL 1406, CHEM 1411 or PHYS 1401)
- Completion of MATH 1324 and MATH 1325
- Must have grades on transcript at time of review to be considered for admission
- Complete: BIOL 1413 or BIOL 1406 and 1407
- Complete: CHEM 1411
- Recommended (but not required) courses: ENGL 1302, SPCH 1315 & PHED 1304; BIOL 2401 & 2402 to substitute for BIOL 319 & 320