The mission of the Department of Health and Kinesiology is to contribute to the quality of life of the citizens of Texas and the nation through creation and dissemination of knowledge, training of educators and other professionals, and service to the community. Vital aspects of these efforts are to educate our students and the public in the science and benefits of health, human movement, sport, lifetime activities, and healthy lifestyles.
More specifically, the department is responsible for a) preparing entry and advanced level professionals in the disciplines of health, kinesiology and sport management with specializations in athletic training, teacher education, community health, applied and basic exercise physiology, sport management, health education, allied health, education and administration, exercise physiology, motor behavior, and sport pedagogy; b) developing and disseminating applied and basic knowledge in the areas of specialization; and c) providing service activities to the public, private and professional sectors.
Strategic Initiatives and Goals
Research and Development - The Department of HLKN generates and disseminates basic and applied knowledge in health education, exercise physiology, motor behavior and neuroscience, sports pedagogy, and sport managementwhich includes:
- scholarly activity appropriate to the discipline;
- obtaining external funding for research and development activities;
- collaborating with other scholars at local, national and international levels;
- developing and maintaining state-of-the-art research facilities;
- developing and maintaining a scholarly environment conducive to critical thinking and scientific inquiry.
Teaching and Curricula - In the areas of teaching and curricula, the Department of HLKN strives to:
- prepare entry level professionals for careers as health and physical education teachers in schools;
- prepare entry level professionals for a variety of clinical, community, institutional, and other educational settings who are knowledgeable and skilled in fields related to physical activity, sport and health;
- prepare advanced level professionals with research, teaching and service competencies for careers in disciplines of the department (i.e. allied health, community health, school health, health education, exercise physiology, motor behavior, sport management, sports pedagogy, coaching, and dance);
- adopt an active lifestyle that equips students health throughout their lifespan.
Service and Engagement - In the area of service and outreach, the Department of HLKN strives to:
- provide university students with a quality required and elective physical activity program;
- provide the local and university communities with physical fitness assessments, fitness counseling and adult fitness programs;
- provide ongoing assessment and educational programs for the community in motor skill development of children and adolescents, health education, health promotion, health-related fitness, exercise physiology, and sport management;
- provide public, educational and professional societies/agencies with leadership and expertise in health, kinesiology and sport management.
Our vision is to transform lives through the practice, study and promotion of physical activity, sport and health.
For the mission statement and core values of Texas A&M University, click here.
For the vision of the College of Education and Human Development, click here.